Our Journey of Obedience

We are IMB missionaries with the SBC serving in Krakow Poland. Our home church is Grace Community Church in Magnolia Texas, near Houston. Thank you for taking the time to walk with us on our journey and please feel free to share your comments. ~~~Soli Deo Gloria~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: Krakow, Poland

Monday, August 14, 2006

What Did I Say?

Karen and I are discussing ideas for posting here to help you share in our journey as much as possible. I read many blogs and there are a lot of good ideas out there. One of my favorites is a blog that has a "Friday Is For Photos" post. This is a weekly post of a very interesting or beautiful photo from that particular bloggers world with perhaps a little story attaching some detail to it. I love that idea...but I have a problem. In Moscow there aren't any, for example, colorful and interesting little frogs sitting ever so gently on a beautiful dew stained delicate flower that is swaying amidst a spacious green yard. I do have a photo of a smashed frog stuck in between metro doors on the subway, but I'm not sure you want to see that. I'll keep thinking.

Today, let's laugh a little. A little background is in order for you to enjoy this story. The sun shines bright through our family room window and being on the 18th floor, we are very close to the sun as well. Since we don't have an AC, hanging a blanket to cover the window helps keep it a little less hot in that room. It is so heavy though, it takes 15 clothes pins to support it. Not attractive, but it works. We are learning what's important. Now, as you may know we were blessed with our landlord agreeing to purchase a new oven and refrigerator for us. They were both very, very old which would have been okay...if they had worked. They didn't and we are glad he agreed. Anyway, the downside is that in true Russian style, he still wants the old ones...but he said he can't retrieve them from our apartment, in his words, "maybe in a few weeks or a few months." In an apartment with 5 people, you really don't want a second oven and refrigerator...even if they worked! So Karen sleeps next to the old fridge and the oven keeps me warm on my side of the bed. A little exaggeration there, but not too much.

So there is the picture. Now, one day we are coming up the elevator and we receive a call that our friend Anya is dropping by to say hello. She is an awesome young Russian lady that lives about 3 hours away and is passing through Moscow for the evening. Now Karen keeps a great apartment. Everything is in order as usual and ready for our company...but then there is "the blanket" with those 15 clothes pins. It is evening and we think we can do without it. I'm thinking...let's take it down for company. Now, as most of you know, I like to joke around a little and occasionally I may say something actually funny. However, the funnier times with me are usually unplanned, spur of the moment kind of thing. This was unplanned for sure. In my most sincere, determined, matter-of-fact tone, here is exactly what I said to Falyn on the way up the elevator just as we reached our apartment...

"Falyn, Anya is coming over in a little while. When we get inside please take the blanket down from the window. Just roll all the clothes pins up inside of it and put it on top of the oven next to the refrigerator in our bedroom."

We all five looked at each other for a second in silence and then filled the entrance to our blessed home with laughter...just as it should be. Thank you Lord for reaching into Russia and giving us the blessings of laughter.

Sola Gratia~
Doyle

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom and Dad! I love the frog comment LOL. Keep those comments coming. You could do the photo thingy but instead of scenery, you could just do pics of us. Just an idea. Luv ya!
~Falyn

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doyle,
Thank God for the gift of laughter. I pray for you and your family regularly. We think of you everytime we get in the van. Take care my brother. Keep on Making God known.
Barry Jeffries
Central -- Livingston

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home