Our Journey of Obedience

We are IMB missionaries with the SBC serving in Krakow Poland. Our home church is Grace Community Church in Magnolia Texas, near Houston. Thank you for taking the time to walk with us on our journey and please feel free to share your comments. ~~~Soli Deo Gloria~~~

My Photo
Name:
Location: Krakow, Poland

Friday, August 11, 2006

We Finally Made It!!!

Doyle, Karen, Falyn, Tristyn, and Daegan


Thank you all for being patient with us as we finally get our blog off the ground. We are excited about being able to share with you more often and with pictures! We hope you enjoy walking with us.

We have decided to title our blog “Our Journey of Obedience”. I like that title because, amidst all the dramatic changes in our family the last year and a half, and with all the diverting we have done away from what many might consider a “normal” life, all we are really doing is simply being obedient. Like most folks, I sometimes give myself too much credit in certain situations. I have to remind myself that God doesn’t need me. I do know that if God did need me, the Russian people would be in trouble! But instead, for reasons unknown to me, He has given us the unspeakable privilege of sharing the good news of the gospel to those who haven’t heard. Have you ever wondered why He uses the “foolishness” of preaching by a fallen man as the means by which He will prick the heart of another fallen man? I don’t know why He does. I do know that only He could do that…and I’m glad He does.

Since we plan on keeping these posts as a kind of journal of our service, we must not let the first post go by without saying how much we love our home church back in Texas. Our church family (and I do mean family) at Grace Community Church in Magnolia has supported us in so many ways that I truly wouldn’t know where to start. The love the GCC children have shown Falyn, Tristyn, and Daegan with emails, cards, and birthday surprises is right at the top of the list...and there is so much more. We are so blessed to be a part of that family (and I do mean family). We love you all! Thank you Pastor Ted and church family (and I do mean family) for taking us in and then sending us out to the people of Russia...all the while propping us up in prayer while we are on this journey. You are AWESOME!!! (and I do mean AWESOME!!!)

Well, it's already been 6 months, but perhaps over the course of the next few months (or even years) we will get a chance to go back in time and replay some of the highlights for you that may have been missed. Let me just start this journey by sharing a more recent highlight...and this one is really high. It is certainly worthy to be a part of post number one on “Our Journey of Obedience”.

I was able to attend my first “Russian” baptism service a few Saturdays ago. Although, as I write this note, I am reminded that every baptism I have ever attended in the states seemed to be “rushin”…if you know what I mean. Anyway, there were 43 people to be baptized this day and it was a great experience. A few things I noticed as I looked, listened, and learned. One was the overall "eventfulness" of the service. There was scripture reading and preaching, singing, music, testimony, prayers, and reflection. I have always understood the symbolic importance of baptism, but I was just overwhelmed with the fact that this just wasn’t a "folks who walked an aisle, signed a card, and get baptized quickly the next Sunday morning between the 2nd and 3rd praise and worship songs and if you go get a drink of water you missed it" kind of baptism. No…this was different. I kept thinking to myself, this really means something to them. This thought was really made manifest as I observed one particular lady. She was standing about 10 feet from me and we were both standing behind the crowd as they watched the baptisms from the bank of the water. She was standing next to a tent that was to be used for the folks to dry off and change clothes after being baptized. After the first one was baptized and began the climb up the bank, passing through the crowd with their white gown and very muddy white socks, the crowd continued to watch as the next one was baptized, then the next one, then the next. I felt drawn to this lady as we were both well behind the crowd and I wondered why she was just waiting for them at the entrance to the tent. Why wasn't she watching the baptisms with everyone else? As I stepped closer, it was then I realized that her "job" was to strip the muddy socks from the feet of them that were baptized and wash their feet before they entered the tent. You might be thinking as I was that she must have drawn the short straw to get this assignment. Well, as I got even closer to her, and was just beginning to feel sorry for her, I realized that this was no "job" to her. She had clearly volunteered for this work as the tears streamed down her face as she continued her task of stripping off their socks and washing their feet, one after the other, then the next, then the next. It was hard to fight the tears as this missionary prayed "Lord, continue to mold a servant’s heart in me."

Sola Gratia~
Doyle

8 Comments:

Blogger kingzkiidinromania said...

YEAH for your new blog!!! cant wait for more posts and pictures!
it was so good seeing you guys and catching up in poland! cant wait to see you in prague in just a couple short months!
be blessed friends!
aura

10:29 AM  
Blogger ewinwe said...

it IS so interesting to se how people here approach their faith. back in the states, those who have grown up with the word in their face practically every day (or, at least for one hour every sunday, oh, wait, two hours if you count sunday school) seem to take it all for granted. *yawn* "oh, he/she is getting baptised today? hmmm, that means the service will get out a little later and we might lose our spot at the picadilly to the presbyterians! why don't they move those things to sunday evening?"

your witness of the woman waiting to wash the new believers feet is so amazing! we talk about 'building community' and 'living as witnesses', but until you have seen what that really means to the people here, it does not sink in. thanks for sharing!

12:04 PM  
Blogger foxpaw said...

Hey Fletcher's!!!

Great post! Can't wait to see photos!

Vay-Vay and Stryk are coming home today from a German field-hockey camp (ok, it's really Swiss-German, but it is similar enough ... unless you are German!) It's been up in the Southern Alps of Switzerland, pretty enough, but I think they've had cold, rainy weather all week.

Give everyone there a big ole' howdy and hug from the Vosteen house!

Tschuss!!

12:10 PM  
Blogger thelittlefields said...

Hey Fletcher Five!
I'm glad we will be able to keep up with all your adventures in Russia through your blog. We are praying for you guys and are excited to hear about all your experiences!

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to hear from you all and I look forward to catching up with you on your "blog". I have had the privalge to have several baptisms in my backyard pool and spa. It is so meaningful to take the time to celebrate the wonderful event taking place. Miss all the MK's from the AGM and am working my way to get to Greece next year.
Annette Weneck (Tucson Az)

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blogger thingy! Tell Falyn hi for me!
Whitten

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ruth Velarde said...

Hello Fletcher Family- Great blog! We hear you all are really being stretched right now. Please know that your church family (GCC) is praying for you. Be encouraged! What but good can come from obedience to the LORD? May HE give you the strength to learn all you have to learn, may HE stretch your time to meet all the needs of your family, and may HE bless abundantly all your efforts to serve HIM. Most of all, may HE be glorified in your family and in your obedience. You are witnesses and encouragement to us here at home to always be obedient to the LORD and to always trust that HE will provide because there is nothing HE calls us to that HE does not equip us to accomplish. What a blessing to be a part of what GOD has in store for the people of Russia. Good night and God bless you........real good!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trystin's picture looks really funny, when he's hanging!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home